Wednesday, February 9, 2011

Tofu Ginger Stir Fry


Up until a few months ago I had never had Tofu.  I happened to stumble upon a gathering of neighbors where my friend, a vegetarian, was cooking a wonderful ratatouille with tofu.  I started to look up basic ways to make tofu and on advice from my friend was told to get the extra firm tofu and marinade it for a day or two then add it to my favorite recipes.  Below is a stir fry I have made a few times now and really enjoy, not just for its wonderful flavors but for the amazing health benefits of eating such a vegetable heavy meal.

     Tofu Stir Fry Sauce:

     1 Block Extra Firm Tofu, cut into small cubes. 
        Personally I like to slice it into 1/4” cubes.
     1C Water
     1tsp Chicken Bouillon
     1tsp Soy Sauce
     2tsp Teriyaki Sauce
     1tsp Diced Hot Cherry Peppers
     2tsp Corn Starch

Slice the tofu into equal size pieces and pour the sauce over it, cover and refrigerate for at least 24 hours. 

     Stir Fry:

     1tsp Minced Garlic
     1/2tsp Minced Ginger
     2-3 Sliced Carrots
     1 Diced Onion
     1 Diced Bell Pepper
     1 Chopped Zucchini
     2C Broccoli
     Peanut or Olive Oil
     Salt and Pepper
 
The above are my favorite vegetables to stir fry and I always tend to have them on hand.  You can also add green beans, snap peas, sprouts and any other of your favorite vegetables. 

Heat a wok over medium to medium high heat and add 1-2TB of oil to the wok, heat garlic and ginger and toss in carrots first, followed by the broccoli, pepper and onions, add salt and pepper and after a few minutes add the zucchini.  In general you want to add the vegetables that take the longest to cook to the wok first, keep the vegetables moving in the wok to make sure they don’t burn.  Right before the veggies are finished cooking, drain the majority of the sauce into the wok, leaving the tofu in it’s bowl – the tofu breaks easily so it is best to add it at the very last minute after the sauce has thickened. Once the sauce has thickened add the tofu and fold it in gently.

I like to eat it over brown rice but it can also be eaten alone or with couscous

2 comments:

  1. Jillian, this looks DELICIOUS and I love the rest of the stuff you have up on this site -- I'm looking forward to poking around more and maybe cooking some of this stuff up myself. And also you're invited over anytime to chop up veggies for me -- that is the prettiest and most well-chopped pile of veggies i have seen. like. ever.

    :)
    -sarah/halfingsarah

    ReplyDelete
  2. Absolutely Gorgeous!!
    Next time I'm at the evil consumer Mecca I'll pick up some of my newly found tofu for you to try.
    *Kelly

    ReplyDelete