Sunday, February 6, 2011

Tonight's Menu: Mahi Mahi Fish Tacos, with Sauteed Cabbage

Tonight I experimented with Mahi Mahi.  A friend went deep sea fishing and I ended up with some great fillets of a fish I have never really cooked with before.  My dinner tonight is inspired by a great fish taco I got at the Mount Washington Tavern (http://mtwashingtontavern.com/), it was tangy and sweet with some crisp cabbage inside a warm flour tortilla.  See below for my take on the fish taco!

     Fish Tacos for 2:

     1 Fillet of Mahi Mahi (approx. 8-9oz each)

     1/4C  La Choy Teriyaki Sauce
     1TB Soy Sauce
     1TB Lime Juice
     1tsp Minced Garlic
     1tsp Finely Grated Ginger
     1tsp Minced Hot Cherry Peppers
     1TB Peanut Oil

Mix all the sauce ingredients together and marinate the whole fillet for a few hours.  When ready to cook either grill or if you are like me and you don't have a grill, place a flat skillet on your stove top over medium heat.  Once hot, cook fish approx 5-7 minutes on each side until it flakes easily.  Remove and let sit for a few minutes before shredding/cutting into chunks for tacos.

I served it on whole wheat tortillas with some sliced avocado, it had a tangy sweet bite thanks to the addition of the ginger and red peppers while still allowing the flavor of the fish to shine through.

I'm not a huge fan of raw cabbage, so I decided to saute mine and serve as a side dish.  This is an extremely simple recipe that you can make ahead of time and reheat when you are ready to serve it.  In my case I am eating some tonight and saving the rest for later in the week. 

     Sauteed Cabbage:

     1 Head of Green Cabbage
     2TB Olive Oil
     Salt & Pepper

Slice the cabbage into quarters and rinse under cold water.  Remove the hard core in the center, then slice the cabbage into 1/4-1/2" slices.  

Place a large pot over medium heat and add olive oil.  Let the oil heat up then toss in the cut cabbage, salt and pepper then stir.  Leave on medium heat for 15-20 minutes stirring every 3-4 minutes.  It will gradually start to caramelize and wilt down turning into a fantastic nutty sweet dish that melts in your mouth.  After 15-20 minutes turn the heat down to medium low and continue to stir every 5 minutes until it is finished and you are ready to eat - I have let it go up to an hour before with great results.  

You can also add minced garlic to this while the oil is heating up and I have even thrown in corn for the last 10 minutes for a different flavor profile.



And in case you were wondering...on tomorrows menu:  Teriyaki Chicken Legs with Roasted Spiced Red Potatoes and left over Sauteed Cabbage!


1 comment:

  1. This sounds really good! I'm always looking for new ways to add more veggies. WW would be proud that I even eat them now. Love you!

    ReplyDelete