Tuesday, February 8, 2011

Zucchini Pancakes - Side Dish


While watching Food Network one day I saw Ina Garten make zucchini pancakes and all I could think was “wow what a different way to use zucchini.”  Here is my version of Ina’s zucchini pancakes which is a little bit lighter version.  This has been my go-to quick veggie side dish since the summer.  I often eat it as a side dish or with a cup of rice.

     Zucchini Pancakes:

     2 Zucchini Shredded – approx 8-10” long and 1.5” in diameter
     2TB  Onion Shredded
     4-6TB Flour
     2tsp Baking Powder
     2 Egg – Lightly Beaten
     Salt & Pepper
     2tsp Butter

Shred Zucchini and Onion and place in a mixing bowl, add all remaining ingredients except for the butter and mix until thoroughly incorporated.  Make sure to use this mix at once as the longer it sits the more the salt will draw the liquid out of the zucchini.  Heat a skillet over medium heat with Pam and add the butter; once melted add the zucchini pancake mix in even amounts into the skillet and press down into a pancake form.  Once the top of the pancake starts to firm up flip the pancakes and cook on the other side until browned.  You can make them any size you want, I prefer to use about 1/4C of the mix per pancake. 
 
Make the pancakes in batches; you can put the finished pancakes in a 200 degree oven to keep warm while making the remainder of the mix.  I often halve this recipe when cooking for 1 and make 4 pancakes out of it, with a serving size of 2 pancakes.  If you make the full batch and have left overs I find they reheat okay in a microwave but even better when thrown back onto a skillet.

4 comments:

  1. I can't wait to try these!!! :-)

    ReplyDelete
  2. OMG. Those are almost exactly the same recipe I use, only I add some parmesan and no baking powder.

    We love them here. Pain in the arse to make and my kids can devour a batch in the blink of an eye.

    My kids, btw, will eat them hot, warm, or even cold. They love rolling them up with (ugh!) ketchup. Heh.

    ReplyDelete